Jackie Robinson Ballpark
Hall & Ogle Architects provided the leadership and design services to restore and renovate the historic grandstands at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
We were also responsible, as prime architects, for coordinating the efforts of Historical Property Development Consultants, Historical Preservation Consultants, and H.O.K. Sport in the development of a master plan for the renovation and expansion of the historically significant ballpark.
The Jackie Robinson Ball Park is located on City Island, across from the historic business district of the City of Daytona Beach. The facility was built about 1915 and has been used for Major League spring training, Florida State league (Minor League) teams and collegiate and high school competition for over 100 years.
On March 17, 1946, Jackie Robinson stepped onto the ball field as a member of the Montreal Royals, a Minor League baseball team. This success led the way to his next victory in ending segregation in the major leagues. The Jackie Robinson Ball Park is the only remaining ball park where the first integrated game of modern professional baseball occurred.
The ball park's contributing features include a historic grandstand and the ball field. The contributing grandstand was constructed in 1929 to replace the original wood bleachers that were constructed there in the late 1910's. When it was constructed about 1915, the field covered almost all of the original City Island, a municipal recreation facility. The City filled and expanded the Island between the mid 1920's and early 1960's. The City Island is now on the National Register of Historic Places joining the Ball Park as National Register Site.